Author Topic: Flatten It!  (Read 6589 times)

Keith

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Flatten It!
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »
Woo!

So a guilty pleasure of mine is "paper models". I spend a lot more time than I should over at the Paper Modelers Forum.

We like to use a program called Pepakura to do our unfolding and tab placements. (The only paper modeling software in existence)

Currently I think the detail level of the mesh would melt Pepakura ... or at least make enough triangles to think you're staring at unfolded confetti. :(
(unless you "Join Adjacent Isolated Edge" and hope for the best)

I am really excited that Shape Shop allows for .obj exporting. But I would be even more pumped if you could flatten a "blobby mesh" so it could be folded... emailed to a friend... and glued back together :)

Now how is that for rapid prototyping of ideas  ;D

Just a wish-list item
(: Keith
Bah!, where are my scissors and glue?

Keith

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Flatten It!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
Looks like there is something in the works called "Plushie" "An Interactive Design System for Plush Toys" that does sort of the same thing.... well, not really, but the GUI seems about right :)

Its by Yuki Mori and Takeo Igarashi (is this guy everywhere?)... The paper was presented at the 2007 Siggraph.

But I guess this work also sites the Shatz, Tal, Leifman 2006 paper about "Paper Craft Models from Meshes" (pdf)

Jun Mitani is the guy who created Pepakura where his paper partner went on to make lamina (or something?)

Oy! ... Maybe I should just get the paper community to bug Jun to put in the modeling part into his software instead of having to code something from scratch ;)

Anywho, just wishing as always
Bah!, where are my scissors and glue?

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Flatten It!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
It's a neat idea, I would love to be able to make paper models. And I have been doing some work on surface parameterization, which is one of the ways those people are generating the cut-up meshes. But I have a lot of more pressing "features" to implement, so unless I can find a research angle, don't expect to see it any time soon...