Author Topic: A few ideas  (Read 11941 times)

Toffee

• View Profile
    • Stargate babylon game development site
A few ideas
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »
Yeah, here are a few ideas that I think Should be put into later releases of Shapeshop:

More guestures:
I love guestures! The delete/cancel guesture and the scribble guestures are the only one's i use (know about?)
However, how about mapping pretty much every major feature to a guesture?
Right click and your cursor turns into a wand or something? Then do a guesture (such as a spiral) and voila, you have rotated your Y axis 90 degree's.. or something...

Trail:
The most awful thing at the moment in Shapeshop is the fact you can't see what you've drawn!
I have it running on my laptop, and a trackpad is very hard to draw with, so i'd like to be able to see a trail of what i'm drawing.

Obj Importing:
Well it can export, why not import?
I could do a basic mesh in Shapeshop, tweak it in Blender and tweak some more in shapeshop, finally render it in anim8or or something...

Highlight to see what something does:
Most things in windows OS you hover your mouse over + a small box comes up describing what that action does. I'd like to see that, which would help newbies a lot.

That's all I can think of for the actual program.

Other things:-

Open source?:
I've read your other statement about open source, and this is part of your PhD research. Once that's out of the way (timeframe anyone?) i'd love for you to re-build it open source.

Keep developing!!:
For God's sake, you must keep developing this program. It has the potential to blow most 3D applications away. If you built on this Idea, people would be able to make great models and export them to an external application. Maybe even develop a external application yourself?

Active community:
Well, I think we have what, 6 people on the forum so far?
ADVERTISE!!!
Think about what would happen if you got a larger userbase?

There would be so many more complex models being built
Maybe put a donate button on your site + earn a little money?

If the project was open source, it has the potential to become as famous as blender or even greater!

Just my 2 pence (british guy here =])
Games designer.
Currently learning how to do it!

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A few ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:08:38 PM »
> I love guestures! The delete/cancel guesture and the scribble guestures are the only one's i use (know about?)
> However, how about mapping pretty much every major feature to a guesture?

I know this sounds like a good idea, but trust me, it really isn't. People have tried this before. It doesn't
work. You won't be able to remember all the gestures, and the system will never be very good at recognizing
them. And new users have a really hard time learning to use systems that are gesture-based. Basically I
avoid gestures as much as possible -  sorry =). Although, there is some new stuff in development that does
sort of use gestures, which you might like...

> The most awful thing at the moment in Shapeshop is the fact you can't see what you've drawn!
> I have it running on my laptop, and a trackpad is very hard to draw with, so i'd like to be able to see a trail of what i'm drawing.

Umm...you don't see a blue line as you draw? You should. It should look just like in the demo videos. It might
be your laptop, I turned OpenGL line smoothing on by default, and it seems like some embedded graphics
cards just don't draw lines when this is enabled....

> Well it can export, why not import?

Heh. Although ShapeShop can export a mesh, ShapeShop modeling is not mesh modeling. It's implicit modeling,
like metaballs. Basically this means that there is no "mesh", there is a functional surface (kinda like a nurbs patch)
that gets meshed for rendering. That's why you can turn the mesh resolution up and down arbitrarily. So,
to "import" an object, it would have to be converted from the input mesh to a scalar function over R^3 that
has an iso-surface that approximates the mesh. This is basically still an open research problem, the ways to
do it take minutes-to-hours of processing, and would be brutally slow to edit.

That said, I do want to support this. I have ideas about how to make it fast, but it's outside my current
research, so it won't happen soon...

> Highlight to see what something does:

Yea that's a good idea. I'm moving away from using MFC, to my own custom OpenGL window library,
so that I can port to OS X and Linux more easily. I'll add tooltips to the list of stuff to re-implement...

> I've read your other statement about open source, and this is part of your PhD research. Once that's out of the way (timeframe anyone?) i'd love for you to re-build it open source.

Unfortunately I'll be doing my PhD for about 3-4 more years =\.

> For God's sake, you must keep developing this program. It has the potential to blow most 3D applications away.
> ADVERTISE!!! Think about what would happen if you got a larger userbase?

See, these two are kind of related in my mind. The problem with a large userbase is that you have to support it or it goes away. I'm not sure I want ShapeShop to "get big" until I can commit a reasonable amount of time to it. Also, once it gets big, you have kind of committed to a feature set. It's really hard to take features away when thousands of people are using them. Right now it's in a sort of Alpha-Tech-Demo stage, where I can still completely change the interface if I think there is a better way to do it. I couldn't do this if thousands of artists were using those features - they would hunt me down and have my head. This is why most 3D modeling software interfaces are so hard to use - the developers get locked in by the userbase that is paying their salaries. That's also why I don't ask for money - once someone is paying me, I kind of have to listen to them.

(Also, I would be embarassed taking money for ShapeShop in the state it's in now. Maybe in a year or two, once I get some of (what I consider to be) the critical stuff implemented, like proper interoperability, texture import/export, large model support, etc...)

Anyway, thanks for your feedback!
-RMS

Toffee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 05:30:22 PM »
> Guestures:
I understand perfectly!

>The blue line:
I don't see the line as I draw, but after i let go of the left mouse button the blue line comes up.

>Import/Export:
Well, what I understood of that, it must "convert" it to a mesh, which is pretty hard to convert back?
So I understand (sort of) that part

>Highlights:
Thanks for considering that idea!

>PhD:
Ouch! That's a long time! Well i hope it go's ok!

>Large userbase:
I can see where you're coming from here, you'd find it hard to support a large userbase who expect regular updates etc etc. Nothing much I can say for that, it upset's me a little to see such a unique idea not be as "out there" as it could, but as I'm hopefully making (what I aim to be) a popular free game with it, it'll be a usefull and innovative tool. (assuming you LET me use it for that purpose)
Games designer.

Keith

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:33:26 PM »

>Large userbase:
I can see where you're coming from here, you'd find it hard to support a large userbase who expect regular updates etc etc. Nothing much I can say for that, it upset's me a little to see such a unique idea not be as "out there" as it could, but as I'm hopefully making (what I aim to be) a popular free game with it, it'll be a usefull and innovative tool. (assuming you LET me use it for that purpose)

I always considered "advertising" to be on the shoulders of the user base, not the developer. Since they are coding this for free, it is our job to "spread the good news" about ShapeShop to other forums and communities.

Hehehe, that is how I heard about ShapeShop in the first place (kudos to Kerkythea forums)  ;D
Bah!, where are my scissors and glue?

Toffee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
Yeah, it's also been posted on the Anim8or forum, which is a fairly large community, some good modelers there to
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 07:43:20 AM by Toffee »
Games designer.

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
I don't see the line as I draw, but after i let go of the left mouse button the blue line comes up.

It should show up as you draw. It has on all the computers I've tried it on. Honestly I can't fathom how you are getting anything done without being able to see your lines!

>Large userbase:

That's awesome. For the record, I'll "LET" you use ShapeShop for whatever you want to use it for. If you make cool stuff and send me pictures, all the better. As for the userbase, well, in a perfect world I would have a few years to make ShapeShop everything I want it to be. But I'm not going to be unhappy if thousands of artists insist on using it...

Toffee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:46:09 AM »
Good! I'm afraid (due to the line issue) that I will not be using Shapeshop as often as usual but I hopefully will be building a new computer soon! So with Dual SLI linked Graphics cards i'm sure it can render a line wel enough =]

The second i get an S-Video Cable I'll post some pictures of Shapeshop on a 26" HD TV (just for fun!)
Games designer.

Xylifrost

• ground control
    • View Profile
    • Passenger hovercrafts sales in the UK
A few ideas
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
Youve got a few good ideas there I like the defrag thing but if you find that stealing the sums of money you get in the transfer trace missions makes things too easy, then... uhh... dont steal it?
For high quality luxury cars rentals in Vegas look at my personal web page.

shreef

• View Profile
Katty Perry Firework
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:49:58 AM »
Katy Perry has insisted that she won’t be singing song about her married life.Katy Perry Birmingham She doesn’t think that her fans are would be interested in songs about domesticity. She told Rolling Stone that there is an obvious element in me that wants to entertain people and make their faces light up.Katy Perry Liverpool So I won’t only be singing songs about being a married woman.Katy Perry Tampa  I always say a good example of that is Beyonce.Katy Perry Dublin  She sang Single Ladies everyone knows she’s with Jay-Z. Now days she is on shedding pounds for her upcoming tour. She has been asked to stay away from junk food.Katy Perry Boston She is keeping check on her food habits. She said I am on a meal plan, which absolutely sucks- but on Sundays I get to have a cheat day where I go wild and eat a burger.Katy Perry Toronto  Katy Perry’s upcoming California Dreams Tour will be Sweet and Shocking. She is making her first ever appearance in Winnipeg as a part of her North American Tour to support her Teenage Dream album, which features three no.1 singles: California gurls, Katy Perry Houston the title track and Firework. Katy Perry promises Sweet and Shocking tour. She will perform 95 shows in her world tour. Katy Perry Fort Lauderdale She has planned to raise the bar with her performances. The California Dreams Tour will start on 20th of February in Portugal and ends on 2nd November in Ireland. Katy Perry has put merch,Katy Perry Philadelphiaand even herself up for Q music Rock N Roll Auction to help the Premier’s Disaster Relief Appeal.Katy Perry Broomfield  The auction includes a meet and greet with Katy Perry at her Brisbane show. Katy Perry will be a guest star in February 7 episode and she will play as Honey, the cousin of Zoey in the Broadway How I Met Your Mother.