Author Topic: duplicate/copy/paste/flip?  (Read 9049 times)

bunnyhero

• View Profile
duplicate/copy/paste/flip?
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
hi!

i saw your demo at democamp16 (which was definitely the hit of the evening, i'd say). if my memory serves, you were doing some copying and pasting or duplicating/flipping? am i correct in guessing that these features aren't in version B2?

thanks! i've been playing with this for maybe half an hour and having tonnes of fun!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:52:20 AM by bunnyhero »

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: duplicate/copy/paste/flip?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 12:53:38 AM »
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that people liked it.

I was doing some copy & paste, but not some flipping. I do actually have flipping implemented, but it doesn't save & load properly at the moment, so I disabled it (breaking changes...argh).

The copy & paste was for the surface editing which is not released yet. There is a (cumbersome) way to duplicate objects, basically you can just save your file and open it again - "open" is actually "insert/import", it doesn't clear the existing scene. Super-hacky, I know. ( There is a menu item for "export selection", but it seems to be busted...)

Anyway, both are high on the list of stuff to get working properly for the next beta (which unfortunately won't be until Feb, due to SIGGRAPH deadlines....)

bunnyhero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:09:35 AM »
The copy & paste was for the surface editing which is not released yet.
ahh, right, i remember now.

There is a (cumbersome) way to duplicate objects, basically you can just save your file and open it again - "open" is actually "insert/import", it doesn't clear the existing scene. Super-hacky, I know. ( There is a menu item for "export selection", but it seems to be busted...)
cool, thanks for the tip! i should be able to do quite a bit with that, i think... just use separate files to model the parts i want to duplicate, and import them in multiple times.

Anyway, both are high on the list of stuff to get working properly for the next beta (which unfortunately won't be until Feb, due to SIGGRAPH deadlines....)
awesome, looking forward to it!

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:58:22 PM »
i should be able to do quite a bit with that, i think... just use separate files to model the parts i want to duplicate, and import them in multiple times.

That's actually probably the best way to make complicated models in ShapeShop right now. That's how I did the gremlin model, which is the most complicated thing I've done.

In the future, one of the big things I want to do for the next release is add "part support", where you can model a part, then select it and freeze/bake it (like grouping in illustrator). This will make the UI a lot faster, and I'm hoping it will make building more complicated models easier.