Author Topic: Mirror tool  (Read 20730 times)

ruudboek

• View Profile
Mirror tool
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:26:25 AM »
Firstly i'd like to say, that ShapeShop is really an amazing, very unique and fun application.
It really takes 3d modeling to a next level, it makes 3d modeling available for everybody and even kids.
I really hope you will keep on developing ShapeShop.

Now my feature request:

Wouldn't it be great if a mirror tool would be availabe?
The mirror tool could be a line (plate) that divides the object in a left and right site.
If you would change things on one site of the mirror tool, the changes are immediately reflected on the other site of the mirror tool.
This allows for more symmatrical 3d objects to be created.
As we all know, humans and animals are symatric, so you could imagine that a mirror tool would be a great help creating 3d animals or humans.

The mirror tool is used a lot in a 3d modeling application called CB Model Pro.
Please have a look at this video, to illustrate how helpfull a mirror tool (the green divider) can be:

http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=e782c65a973ef76fd540

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror tool
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »
I have often found myself wishing I had implemented a mirror tool =).

In some ways, because ShapeShop is based on constructive modeling (ie you make things out of shapes), a mirror tool is kind of tricky. It's not clear what should happen, for example, if a shape passes across the mirror line. I could do mesh-mirroring, but that wouldn't let you do the volume edits (cut holes, blends, etc).

One thing that should be (relatively) easy would be to add a 'mirror' node, that reflects the volume from one side to the other. You would only be able to make changes on one side, which might be more restrictive than some other mirror tools, but the advantage would be that arbitrary sub-parts of the tree could be mirrored...

Anyway, I will think about it, as you aren't the first to ask for it...

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:03 PM »
Well, maybe it would be an idea for nothing to happen when you initally position the mirror node.
Only once the mirror node is in place, every shape you from then on create or modify on one site is then also created or modified on the other site of the mirror node.
I don't know if that would be difficult to implement?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:24:22 PM by ruudboek »

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:33:57 AM »
Yea that's kind of what I'm thinking. It shouldn't be too hard to implement. I will add it to the list =)
cheers,
-RMS

Andusan

• View Profile
    • Portfolio CGsociety
Yes lets have a Mirror Tool
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:16:00 AM »
 that would be great :)
greetings Corien Klapwijk

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:38:39 PM »
Just wondering, do you maybe already have plans for releasing a new version?  ;D

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:36 PM »
I would like to spend some time adding features and then release a new version. But my wife just had a baby, so I hardly have any free time, and what time I do have, I have to spend working on my papers for SIGGRAPH. So, unfortunately, I wouldn't expect to see a new version until January =\

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »
No hurries, congrats with the baby b.t.w.!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 07:49:19 AM by ruudboek »

Andusan

• View Profile
    • Portfolio CGsociety
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:36:44 AM »
yes congratulations ... from me too RMS.
i wish you and your wife good night sleeps  !

btw: i look out for the new version of Shapeshop in 2009 !

good luck and succes !
greetings Corien Klapwijk

deamonpen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
 Hello,
 Thanks for the great program :)

And congratulations from me too. Hope your family enjoy happiness.

The mirror tool is the feature I would love to see most :D.

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
I totally agree, the mirror tool + the ability to draw perfect lines are simply must haves  ;D

ShapeShop is what is actually making me think about purhasing one of these cheap "tablet-style" netbooks:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=14&id=2634

Can you image how much fun it must be using ShapeShop on one of those?
Only wish they would have a 10 inch screen available...oh well maybe wait for a while... 8)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:52:54 AM by ruudboek »

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
Well, lucky for you, because I found some time to implement a mirror operator =). It was pretty easy to implement, and actually is pretty bad-ass. Since ShapeShop is volumetric, mirroring works in any direction, and it is even possible to use multiple mirror planes to make kaleidescope-like patterns. I am just working on a bit of extra functionality that will make it possible to smooth across the mirror plane (to get rid of sharp creases, in case the tangents aren't perfectly continuous).

I also added COLLADA and STL exporting, and an operator that automatically hollows the surface, so you can print your models at Shapeways.com (!).

And, I've fixed some bugs, in particular stroke drawing now works properly with integrated Intel GPUs (this is what most Tablet PCs have - I got a Lenovo x61t a month ago and it was driving me crazy that it was broken...)

I really need to get back to my research, so (knock on wood) I will probably push out B5 in the next week or two.

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
Man that sounds really good!
B.T.W. great find making it compatible with shapeways, now i can finally start my own toy factory ;).

Just wondering, maybe you can apply the functionality for the smoothing across the mirror plane also to the drawing of perfect lines, or would that be a totally different thing?

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »
I just uploaded B5, now with mirroring. More info here.

I have also tweaked the curve smoothing a bit, so it should give smoother results, especially if you apply a smoothing operation after you draw (just circle the area you want to smooth a few times).

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »
The new mirror feature simply works like a charm! Just Perfect.  8)