Author Topic: Auto Smoothing algoritms  (Read 6873 times)

ruudboek

• View Profile
Auto Smoothing algoritms
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
It would be nice if ShapeShop would support auto smoothing algoritms that would make it possible to draw perfectly smooth lines.
This would enable one to create more professional or "plastic" looking 3d models.

Smoothteddy is an example of a sketch based 3d modeling application that has incorporated auto-smoothing algoritms.
Just have a look at this video how well that works out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrHdaWTyu0I

Also, it would be nice if one could insert or cut out perfectly round (circle) or perfectly square objects.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:17:16 PM by ruudboek »

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Smoothing algoritms
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:37:31 AM »
Do you mean smoothing the surface, or smoothing the strokes you draw? Do you know about the stroke smoothing (mentioned in the manual)?

It is possible to smooth further than I currently do. It is a trade-off between smoothing and accurately representing smaller features someone might draw in the stroke. There are better ways to handle this than I currently use. I agree that it would be nice to support circles, squares with sharp edges, etc. I have done some work on this but it's not integrated into ShapeShop yet.

(If you mean smoothing the mesh, that's a whole different story....but do you know about the mesh refinement tools? If you increase the mesh resolution and then do some subdivision refinement, the surface can get to that pretty 'plasticky' level...)

ruudboek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
Yes, i mean the auto-smoothing of the strokes that you draw, not the smoothing of the mesh.

I have noticed the smooth gesture, but that tool only allows you to smooth specific regions of the drawing, what i mean is for everything you draw to be perfectly smoothed (curved) automatically.

I totally agree on that it basically is a compromis between smoothing and accurately representing the smaller features of what you drew, but how about creating a special mode in ShapeShop that will automatically create overdonely smooth strokes?

That would enable you to draw, for example, something that looks like an egg and ShapeShop ten turns that into an actual 2d drawing of a perfect egg with perfect curves.
You can then refine the 2d drawing by pulling lines.
When you pull a line, the 2d shape will then adjust in a perfectly smooth way, with perfect curves. You will probably need some algoritm for that, maybe a bezier curve?
This way you could create truely perfecty curved shapes, for that true "plastic" look.
I think that method comes down to a more clay like fashion of shaping the 2d drawing.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:42:39 PM by ruudboek »

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:33 AM »
I see. OK. Yes I have thought about doing that...I might be able to do some of that as research. I will look into it.
cheers,
-RMS