Author Topic: Linux Port!  (Read 7180 times)

UOCS_Toymaker

• View Profile
Linux Port!
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
I saw Shapeshop, and really love the interface and the styling of it. What I don't like, however, is that it's still running on an oudated kludge OS. If I could bring this over to my Gentoo box I'd be very happy.

Hell, while we're on the topic of a Linux port, if this is going to continue to be a nonprofit endeavor, I would be inclined to assist in that port, if I can. I'm a CS grad student over at the University of Ottawa, and though this is far from my specialty, I think I could help.

RMS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Port!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:25:03 AM »
I'd love to have a Linux port too, but it would be a lot of work. ShapeShop is currently built on MFC - yes, ick - but replacing that with some other UI library like GTK or QT does not really appeal to me. I am planning on replacing the MFC UI with a custom OpenGL interface library (another research project...). At that point, it will be relatively simple to port to Linux, OS X, etc. But it's going to be a while...

(we can agree to disagree about the "kludge OS" statement...)

Because ShapeShop is a big part of my PhD research, it is basically an unstable mess until I decide to do a release, at which point I disable all the development code and ship what is working. This won't work for a developer group larger than, well, "me". So any open source thing would have to be a fork from my research version, which would inevitably diverge, making it near-impossible for me to integrate my research code back in. So, at least until I finish my PhD, open-sourcing ShapeShop would actually make my life a lot more difficult =\

Kasper

• View Profile
    • Chicago real estate
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
 hello,
i'm trying to port a freebsd a linux program.
cmake output is

-- Looking for libusb-1.0/libusb.h
-- Looking for libusb-1.0/libusb.h - not found
-- no libusb 1.0 found. No smartreader support

i'm not able to find this header in Freebsd 7.2

thanks in advance

Ruggero
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:32:51 PM by Kasper »

Zebadiah

• View Profile
    • electronic cigarette review